Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Ford vs For-Our-Weeds

When last we spoke about the potential amendment to the Ontario Cosmetic Ban, the Ford Provincial Government was considering changing the existing laws and went as far, in an email to me, to promise "fairness and certainty for all."

I took this to mean, I would either be added to the exemption list or have the highly coveted new weed control Civits for the 2020 season.

Well, the amendment has happened and here is the proposed "fairness  and certainty for all":

1) Cemeteries added to the exemption list with golf courses, farmers, sod growers and federally owned land.

2) The Provincial classification system reorganized to mirror Health Canada and the PMRA.

3) OPAC (Ontario Pesticide Approval Committee) will no longer be the middle man, slowing the process for new products.

But let's be clear: no pesticide exemption for licenced professionals in the lawn care industry as I implored. No fast track for the new weed control Civitas used by every other province but Ontario. No policing of illegal products obtained by crossborder and mailorder shopping.

I guess the Ford government likes losing all the tax revenue from out of province purchases and the dwindling growth of a lawn care industry in serious trouble?

There is so much cheating going on with illegal products and there is no equal balance.

Fairness and certainty for all?????

Keep in mind that the information posted above had to come to me from another source and even the Ministry of the Environment is in the dark concerning time tables and implementation. All this means I have no recourse but to go into my season using Fiesta weed control instead of a more effective product and watch as my equipment and trucks rust from the excessive iron.

I also have to order "Class 11" signs although they may be obsolete by the start of the season and I have to contend with customers who are confused as I am about what's going on.

Further attempts to communicate with the Conservatives over these changes have gone unanswered.

Perhaps they have their hands full with the teachers? Perhaps they don't care? Who's to say?

All I know is there are still losers after these changes, not to mention confusion. Any guesses what category I'm in?

In dealing with any government you have to accept there will be broken promises and lies. It's just that, I'm so tired of the same ones over and over and over again.

This Ford is no Shelby Mustang.

No comments:

Post a Comment